Tuesday, January 3, 2017

"Elder Eats Spicy!" and "Miracle"

Holey Moley I gotta type fast,
Yes I still have my coat. Currently it smells like fish from our New Years Thai dinner. I ate 4 Thai chilies; they were all freaking out. Lol. "Elder eats spicy!" Brother Sukans son Joseph was like "You're more Asian than me..." 

I have my snow boots as well. It snowed like another 5 inches today... 
I am fine!!!! I don't need a new pillow. Elder Yates gave his to me; its half memory foam and half pillow, and his memory foam mattress topper. With the new sheets, I am sleeping like a king.

Transfers are a week from tomorrow!  I am racking my brain to see if we have met Sister Chamberlin's parents?? That is funny! So many Utah missionaries. Lol

This Sunday was so good! We spoke and we taught the youth class. I am still trying to figure out how speaking works and what kind of preparation works best for me, but the youth class we taught went so well! 

MIRACLE:
So we are working with this super awesome couple that live in Alabama but have a home here as well. They are so awesome! We don’t normally go to their ward because we are supposed to focus on the Thai ward and they meet at that time. We were there and our awesome senior couple the Ranglacks came in with this Middle Eastern couple and their little baby. They told us that they had been reading the Book of Mormon and they want to get baptized. They came to church themselves and happened to come to that building at that time but they lived in Millcreek. At first we were just going to have them stay and get them the address to the building they could go to next week and we would also get a hold of their bishop. She explained to us in broken English that she was leaving for 2 months to go see her father that was very sick and she wanted to take more lessons and be baptized before then. We decided we would take them to their building. They followed us in the car over there to the one on meeting house locator and had them wait in the foyer so we could bring the missionaries or the bishop. We turned the corner and Elder Blumquist and Elder Bailey were there and said that the wards switched buildings. During the course of all of this time, she especially, was thanking us and crying because of how grateful she was that we were helping her and how much she wanted this gospel in her life. We were able to get her to the right building with the right missionaries and the ward had started later than we thought so they were able to make it to sacrament meeting. We saw Elder Mauu and Elder Beckman as we were walking up. I couldn't imagine what they thought when we came walking up with this family and said, "this is _____ and ______ , she has been reading the Book of Mormon and they want to get baptized before the 16th of January." It was so cool and I hope I did the story justice. Elder Mauu was even able to speak Arabic to them that he had learned from talking to people in the area. This family was just radiating and were so kind and humble and so good. We could have been at another building, sent them to the wrong address or so many other things but our Heavenly Father put us in the right place at the right time to help some of his children with so much faith. I know this gospel is true and this message is for all the ends of the earth. 

Love,
Elder Moe

Here is the letter I wrote to our Stake Young Men's presidency. They asked us to write to the young men in the Stake to use for training:

Dear Brothers!

I feel like just yesterday I was in your shoes; looking forward to my mission and doing what little I felt like I knew I could do to prepare. Hopefully from my perspective of being out, I can give you some ideas to help you be more prepared! 

The first thing to remember is what I mentioned at the beginning, time is short. Now it may seem like you have all the time in the world before you leave and maybe you can prepare more tomorrow, but trust me, the time is now! D&C 31:3 "Lift up your heart and rejoice, for the hour of your mission is come; and your tongue shall be loosed, and you shall declare glad tidings of great joy unto this generation." 

The second thing is advice given from Elder Bednar! He said that the best preparation that anyone could do would be to become a missionary before you enter the mission field. Going on a mission doesn’t make you a missionary. You have to BECOME a missionary by keeping the commandments of God, diligently following the promptings of the Holy Spirit and realizing that, "...the thing which will be of the most worth unto you will be to declare repentance unto this people, that you may bring souls unto me..." (D&C 15:6) Do not be tricked into thinking that opening your mouth and sharing the gospel will be any easier in the mission field than it is at home. At some point you are going to have to swallow that lump in your throat, lay aside your fear and JUST DO IT. If you can do this, you will see your Heavenly Father pour out blessings to you and you will feel the joy of this work that just fills you up. Do everything you can to be an example of the believers and look for every opportunity to talk about the gospel. When I was in high school, one of my teammates on the pole vaulting team was Nephi Vang. Nephi, Stephen, Preston, myself and others had some awesome opportunities to tell people where Nephi's name came from!

This one is so important. Read the Book of Mormon every day. Commit to read the Book of Mormon everyday for the rest of your life. As you read you will understand. Don't worry about not making sense sometimes when you read, don't worry if the person’s scriptures next to you in seminary looks like the Color Run and you only have a few outlined in red. Just don't let a day go by that you don't have personal prayer and scripture study. Read with a desire to feast. Sometimes it might not feel like you are feasting, but I promise you that the days will come where as you read, you are filled up with light. In your days at school or at work, those scriptures will come into your mind and you will have greater light and greater power.

If there is anyone wondering if a mission is worth it or even if the Gospel is true, I am here to tell you IT IS. For your whole lives you will be tested and tried, questioned and pushed down, but if you build your foundation on our Savior Jesus Christ, YOU. CAN. NOT. FALL. "And now, my sons, remember, remember that it is upon the rock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God, that ye must build your foundation; that when the devil shall send forth his mighty winds, yea, his shafts in the whirlwind, yea, when all his hail and his mighty storm shall beat upon you, it shall have no power over you to drag you down to the gulf of misery and endless wo, because of the rock upon which ye are built, which is a sure foundation, a foundation whereon if men build they cannot fall." (Helaman 5:12

Never forget this, "Therefore, if ye have desires to serve God ye are called to the work;" (D&C 4:3) You are called to the work here in the heartland of America and you will be called to labor in another place when the time comes, but remember, you are a disciple of Jesus Christ the Son of God and have been called of him to declare his word among his people that they may have everlasting life.

Love,

Elder Moe

No comments:

Post a Comment